Washington, March 10 – This Sunday on “State of Belief,” best-selling author Chris Hedges talks with the Rev. Welton Gaddy about the dangerous intersection of religion and nationalism in America. In his weekly review of religion in the news, Welton declares that insanity has taken hold across the nation.
Also on the show:
– Patty and Terry Laban, creators of the nationally syndicated comic strip
– The Rev. Tim Carson, Senior Minister of Webster Groves Christian Church in St Louis expresses alarm at Missouri’s attempt to establish Christianity as the official state religion; and
– Commentary from the Rev. Dr. Joseph C. Hough, Jr., president of Union Theological Seminary.
“There’s no other way to put it: insanity takes hold across the nation,” Welton says. “
Hedges tells Welton that the religious right is similar to “the intolerant and totalitarian movements I’ve covered in Africa, the Middle East and Eastern Europe….The religious right in this country is really about the destruction of reality-based media….The hard right wants the destruction of institutions that can engage in self-criticism.”
A religion scholar, war correspondent, and
Welton also comments on:
– Jerry Falwell and Gary Bauer now allowing Jews to enter Heaven;
– President Bush taking another whack at the wall separating religion and government;
Interfaith Alliance celebrates religious freedom by championing individual rights, promoting policies that protect both religion and democracy, and uniting diverse voices to challenge extremism. Founded in 1994, Interfaith Alliance brings together members from 75 faith traditions as well as those without a faith tradition to protect faith and freedom. For more information visit interfaithalliance.org.